Principal, PK-8 - East Somerville Community School
Company: Young World Physical Education
Posted on: January 26, 2023
PRINCIPAL, PK-8 - EAST SOMERVILLE COMMUNITY SCHOOL(#708)
- Application Deadline: Posted until Filled
- Posted: January 4, 2023
- Starting Date: Immediately Enter your email to receive job
alerts when new jobs like this one are posted. My Email Job
Description -Job GoalThe elementary principal is hired by the
Superintendent of Schools as the educational leader and educational
resource person of a school. They are thoroughly familiar with
principles of child, early adolescent, and educational psychology;
with the content, scope and sequence of the several disciplines
taught in the elementary schools, with the instructional materials
that are available, and with instructional methods. The
Superintendent of Schools may, on occasion, call upon them to give
wider scope to their professional competencies, experience and
judgment by serving on a curriculum or other committee. They
evaluate the performance of teachers and advises the Superintendent
with reference to recommendations for employment and
reappointment.Responsibilities and AuthorityThe elementary school
principal is responsible to the Superintendent for the
organization, administration, and supervision of instruction and
discipline of the school. The elementary school principal, with
commensurate authority, is responsible for the fulfillment of the
duties set forth below. They may delegate to members of their staff
appropriate portions of their responsibilities together with
appropriate authority for their fulfillment; however, they may not
delegate or relinquish their overall responsibility or any portion
of their accountability.Duties
- Implements the policies of the school committee and the
directives of the Superintendent of schools.
- Exerts leadership in the adaptation of the general program of
education approved for the city schools to meet the particular
needs of the community served.
- Oversees, supervises and certifies the preparation, accuracy,
and maintenance of a wide variety of records and report the budget
appropriation allocated to the school.
- Is responsible for all money collected on the operation of the
school and the keeping of accurate records of these funds.
- Participates in the yearly determination of
textbooks-reviewing, evaluating and recommending preferred and
optional texts, and also recommends the discarding of certain
- Reports to the Superintendent of schools, regarding the needs
of the school with respect to personnel, equipment, supplies and
- Furnishes the necessary supplies and instructional aides to
staff for the improvement of instruction.
- Supervises the maintenance, cleanliness and security of the
building and its contents.
- Promotes good health practices, and enforces the rules
regarding immunizations and communicable diseases.
- Promotes safety in the school by having a systematic program of
fire drills, pedestrian traffic control and periodic inspection of
buildings and grounds.
- Provides leadership in the improvement of the total educational
program within the school by visiting classrooms, conferring with
teachers, giving leadership in curriculum improvement and assisting
in the selection and use of instructional materials.
- Supervises the instructional staff to the end that the purposes
of the educational program may be attained.
- Directs the activities of all members of the staff assigned to
the school in the performance of their duties.
- Oversees the orientation of all new faculty members, insuring
that these new members will be totally familiar with school
philosophy, texts, guides, personnel policies and school
- Aids teachers in the interpretation of the courses of study and
other instructional supplies and materials.
- Stimulates professional improvement through a well-planned
in-service training program for the faculty.
- Aids teachers with their daily programs and lesson plans when
- Shares in the development of curricular programs for the
district and assumes the responsibility for the implementation of
such programs when approved.
- Consults regularly with and coordinates the services of subject
specialists so that all classroom teachers may receive effective
- Motivates faculty personnel; encourages professional
development; recognizes efficiency and accomplishments of
- Encourages development of student body spirit through rewards,
privileges, recognition and disciplinary measures.
- Utilizes to the fullest, all resources of the school system and
the community in developing the most effective educational
- Personally controls activities involving pupil/parent contacts
such as dealing with suspensions, expulsions, student progress and
adjustment, placement of students, counseling matters and other
pupil/parent relationships that are delicate in nature.
- Provides for individual differences and tries to place each
student in an atmosphere which will stimulate learning and
- Is available at all times to consult with parents and teachers
concerning the welfare of any student.
- Promotes good public relations at all times in the school and
community by the proper interpretation of the educational
- Promotes his/her professional growth through reading, attending
conferences and workshops in order to provide professional
leadership of the highest type.
- Submits written reports upon request to the
- Any and all other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Minimum of a Master's degree;
- Evidence of at least five (5) years of successful teaching
and/or administrative experience;
- Must be bilingual or multilingual with proficiency in
- Demonstrates cultural proficiency;
- Must hold or be eligible for Massachusetts DESE licensure as an
Elementary School Principal, Grades PreK-8 Terms of Employment:
Twelve (12) Month work year (July-June)260 days - 40 hours per
Reports To: -Superintendent of Schools The Somerville Public
Schools does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or
employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race,
color, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, home status,
marital/civil union status, sex/gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, citizenship status, place of birth, national origin,
ancestry, cultural identity, genetics or military status, and does
not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation,
threat or harassment that demeans individuals' dignity or
interferes with their ability to learn or work.
- Position Type: Full-time
- Positions Available: 1
- Job Category : Administrator > Principal/Dean/Head of
Employer DescriptionEducation - Inspiration - Excellence are the
themes that characterize the instructional services, departments
and programs of the Somerville Public Schools.
Our Mission: The Somerville Public Schools is dedicated to the
realization of the full intellectual, physical, social, and
emotional potential of all students. Our talented team of teachers
and other professionals provides every student with the knowledge,
skills and attitudes needed to be successful throughout their
lives. This is accomplished through the delivery of innovative
instruction guided by the Massachusetts Curriculum and Somerville
Curriculum Frameworks, and supported through partnerships with
organizations such as Primary Source, and the Center for
Engineering Education and Outreach at Tufts University.Learn more
about us... The content you submit, offer, contribute, attach,
post, or display (each a "Submission") will viewed by other users
of the service who may or may not be accurately representing who
they are or who they represent. Do not include any sensitive data
in your submissions. Any submission or any use or reliance on any
content or materials posted via the service or obtained by you
through the use of the service is at your own risk. "Sensitive
data" for purposes of this section means social security or other
government-issued identification numbers, medical or health
information, account security information, individual financial
account information, credit/debit/gift or other payment card
information, account passwords, individual credit and income
information or any other sensitive personal data as defined under
Keywords: Young World Physical Education, Somerville , Principal, PK-8 - East Somerville Community School, Education / Teaching , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!