Athletics - Girls Ultimate Frisbee Coach
Company: Somerville School District
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Responsibilities:As an Athletics Coach you are directly
responsible to both the head coach and the Director of Athletics.
The coach of an individual sport must realize that any activity
sponsored by SHS Athletics is part of the total program offered by
SHS. Individuals in charge of such activities must utilize sound
educational principles and goals if athletics are to be a
worthwhile part of the overall school program. Some of the duties
of the coach shall include:
- Model the behaviors outlined in the NFHS Coaches Code of
Ethics, especially those pertaining to sportsmanship.
- Have full control of the team in all matters pertaining to
coaching and athletic discipline.
- Implement SHS Athletic Department policies and team rules.
- Be responsible for information contained in the Massachusetts
Interscholastic Athletic Association Handbook and the SHS Student
- Attend all Athletic Department and SHS meetings that deal
directly with the sport coached. Including MIAA, GBL, Coaches
Associations and Athletic Awards meetings.
- Stay informed of rule changes, trends, and recommendations that
affect their particular sport.
- Be present at each practice session and at all contests of the
sport coached. This includes supervision, at all times, and of the
weight room, locker room and shower areas until the area is secured
before and after practices and contests.
- Develop an organized written practice plan to include adequate
warm-up and cool-down procedures on a daily basis.
- Make sure that the facilities and equipment are safe and clean
and that safety procedures are taught and followed in all
- Perform all duties/responsibilities assigned by both the head
coach and Director of Athletics
- Give personal support to the entire SHS staff, including school
principal, school assistant principals and teachers.
- Establish avenues of communication with other adults to
identify potential resources for the enhancement of SHS
- Work with community members who are involved in youth sports in
order to encourage the young women and young men to continue to
participate in sports at the high school level.
- Develop an approach to coaching which encourages outreach to
the parents of the athletes and to other adults who care about the
athletes (booster clubs are one part of this outreach)
- Ensure your athletes are participating in the seasonal
- Organize and instruct clinics for the youth programs and
coaches of your individual sport.
- Directly supervise squad members at home and away
- Supervise all team members that are transported by school
buses. This includes making sure all team members travel to and
from games and practices (when applicable) by school
- Be responsible for the distribution and collection of the
school's athletic equipment, uniforms, medical equipment and
supplies during and after the coaching season.
- Direct completed score report forms, and official's vouchers
immediately following a contest.
- Help the Director of Athletics maintain security by not
allowing keys to be handled by anyone but the coaching staff.
- Have an awareness of school athletic awards policy and
procedures. Distribute athletic awards in accordance with school
- Assist student-athletes in securing financial aid or college
scholarships based on athletics ability.
- Have current knowledge of NCAA and NIAA recruiting policies,
regulations and admission requirements.
- Follow current procedures for completing end-of-season
- Bachelor's Degree or higher from an accredited college or
university is preferred.
- Previous successful playing and/or coaching; experience working
- Current Red Cross CPR, First Aid Certification, completion of
the MIAA Coaches Education Class and other requirements by the
MIAA. Terms of Employment:
- Appointments will expire unless renewed within sixty (60) days
of the last regular season game
Position Reports to: Somerville High School Athletics
Director/Assistant Athletics Director
The Somerville Public Schools does not discriminate in its
programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on
the basis of race, color, age, religion, disability, pregnancy,
home status, marital/civil union status, sex/gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, citizenship status, place of birth,
national origin, ancestry, cultural identity, genetics or military
status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or
bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans
individuals' dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or
Keywords: Somerville School District, Somerville , Athletics - Girls Ultimate Frisbee Coach, Education / Teaching , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...