Engineering Manager/Technical Lead (Research Patient Data Re
Company: CTI Education Group
Posted on: April 5, 2021
Job Description - Engineering Manager/Technical Lead (Research
Patient Data Registry) (3151068) Engineering Manager/Technical Lead
(Research Patient Data Registry) - ( 3151068 ) About Us:
-- As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is
committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and
service to the community by leading innovation across our system.
Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General
Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of
care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care
organization, a physician network, community health centers, home
care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals
are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system
is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients
and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees
with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is
committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with
projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that
empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each
member of our team to own their personal development-and we
recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern
decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our
work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service
Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we
treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect,
Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork &
General Summary/Overview Statement The Research Information Systems
& Computing (RISC) group of Mass General Brigham is looking for an
Engineering Manager to be a key member of the RPDR (Research
Patient Data Registry) team. The Research Patient Data Registry
(RPDR) is a centralized clinical data registry designed for
facilitating research across the Mass General Brigham enterprise.
Our group is focused on the consolidation of data into this
repository from a variety of hospitals and source systems. To date,
we have over 3.5 billion individual data points on over 7 million
patients. In addition, we develop tools and services to search and
disseminate data to researchers on IRB approved studies. We handle
over 35,000 query requests from over 1500 researchers annually,
including the creation and delivery of over 5,000 identified data
sets. The total value of grants that depend on data delivered from
the RPDR for their associated research projects is estimated to be
over $1 billion. The Engineering Manager position will provide
technical leadership and guidance to a small team of developers who
are responsible for delivering software solutions for complex
problems within the RPDR. We are looking for a self-motivated
individual who demonstrates great attention to detail and can
manage a small, but very efficient group. This position will have
significant influence on our overall technical strategy and will be
counted on to lead the RPDR technical team through complete project
lifecycles, from design to development, implementation, and ongoing
maintenance. The ideal person must love a challenge and feel
comfortable working on an evolving project in which the specific
goals and deliverables are subject to change. Deep analytical
skills are a necessity, as well as an ability to successfully work
with new technologies, quickly grasp new concepts, and think
creatively when solving complex problems. You may be asked to take
on other duties the team may need as assigned and you will actively
participate in all facets of the project.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities 20% - Team Management
- Lead a team of 4-5 developers and systems engineers.
- Encourage full participation of team members within their
defined roles and responsibilities.
- Focus the team to ensure on-time delivery of projects.
- Work to develop resiliency among team member so they can adapt
to and navigate challenges and obstacles.
- Contribute to the development of direct reports and overall
performance management by lending your knowledge and experience to
teach others what you know.
- Influence the future direction of the team and vision for what
- Set and monitor annual performance goals & objectives,
including responsibility for performance appraisals.
- Work with Assistant Director of Operations in the development
of technical staff including routine check-ins; identifying
training needs; providing coaching/teaching; and
identifying/advocating for professional development
- Remove roadblocks facing developers for day-to-day projects.
20% - Planning, Prioritization, & Strategy
- Translate corporate/functional business and information
objectives into technical solutions
- Assist with creating project resource estimates, metrics to
track completion phase, defect reports, defect prevention,
development efficiency and quality.
- Learn about our core customers (the Mass General Brigham
research community) and become involved with the research
- Partner with the Assistant Director to develop a roadmap
aligned with the team's key business goals.
- Analyze functional and system level requirements, tasks, and
issues and coordinate project planning across teams.
- Provide recommendations for optimal product architecture as
- Understand technology solutions used cross the research
enterprise, and work to reduce redundancies, and promote
collaboration. 60% - Execution
- Develop knowledge to act as domain expert.--
- Take ownership of what you and the team build and coordinate
your efforts across the teams to ensure proper completion.
- Design and code software components, units, and modules that
meet product specification and development schedules.
- Establish best practices for change management, code reviews,
evaluating and reducing technical debt, creating automated testing
- Creates meaningful technical and business documentation to
ensure alignment across groups.
- Work with the developers and systems engineers to solve
critical problems and identify efficiencies in implementing
technical and functional requirements and tasks.
- Use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions,
actions, and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work
done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment,
Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each
other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning,
Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork &
- Performs all other duties as required.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Computer Science, Information
Technology, Engineering, or related, equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience with multiple software programming
technologies including at least one major programming language
(Java, C#, C++, etc.). Strong preference for expertise with
Microsoft and .Net technologies.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people
management experience, with a team of at least 3 engineers. Must
include experience working closely with product owners,
stakeholders, and project managers.
- Large scale systems design experience.
- Hands-on proficiency with SQL, SSIS, and ETL jobs.
- Experience with cloud-based technology (preferred).
- Experience working with data and databases (Sql Server, Oracle,
No-Sql, etc.); preference for familiarity working with large
datasets or big data technologies (Hadoop, HDFS, MongoDB,
- Knowledge of research and clinical systems desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with
cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the
organization including both technical and non-technical
- A collaborative self-starter with a passion for leading
- Exceptional problem solving and negotiation skills
- Self-motivated, independent, and possesses the ability to learn
- Ability to run large and small-scale projects concurrently,
applying knowledge and awareness of project management
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and to manage to
- Nurtures and develops promising ideas across the team; eager to
experiment and innovate
- Strong player-coach mentality
- Proud that they can write top-quality code; however, doesn't
micromanage the team
- Interested in evaluating characteristics and advantages of
different programming techniques and technology platforms
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working
relationships, understanding that different team members may need
different forms of communication
- Experience developing cross-departmental relationships in order
to remove team impediments
- Ability to communicate information clearly and effectively,
sharing knowledge upward, downward, and across the department
Working Conditions MGB has implemented special remote working
policies due to COVID-19. These policies are subject to change;
however, it is currently expected that this position will work
remotely (e.g. from home) full time through June 2021 If
Working with our team on site in Somerville as well as traveling to
meet collaborators at multiple sites in the local Boston area. 5 -
10% travel outside of may be Boston required. Mass General
Brigham--is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse
skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender
identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic
information, and/or other status protected under law. Primary
Location MA-Somerville-MGB Assembly Row Work Locations MGB Assembly
Row Job IT/Health IT/Informatics - Management Organization Mass
General Brigham(PHS) Schedule Full-time Standard Hours 40 Shift Day
Job Employee Status Regular Recruiting Department PHS Research IS
Keywords: CTI Education Group, Somerville , Engineering Manager/Technical Lead (Research Patient Data Re, Engineering , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!