Senior Process Engineer
Company: Sublime Systems
Posted on: January 7, 2022
SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER ENGINEERING - SOMERVILLE, MA - FULL
Background & OverviewCement is one of the most massively consumed
materials in the world. Each kg of cement results in a kg of CO2
released to the atmosphere, amounting to 8% of annual global CO2
emissions. Demand for cement is increasing as the world's
population grows and urbanizes. Better, greener ways of making
cement are needed if we are to curb CO2 emissions and mitigate
global warming. Sublime Systems is developing new technology to
make CO2-neutral cement using renewable electricity instead of
fossil fuels. Sublime was founded by Dr. Leah Ellis, who was named
MIT Technology Review's 35 Innovators under 35, and Prof. Yet-Ming
Chiang, serial cleantech entrepreneur and professor at MIT's
Department of Materials Science. Sublime is backed by leading
cleantech investors: The Engine, Prime Impact Fund, and Lowercarbon
Position Overview Sublime Systems seeks a creative and dynamic
Senior Process Engineer to contribute to the scale up of our cement
manufacturing process. The Senior Process Engineer will progress
commercial scale facility design concepts with a focus on process
modeling. As a member of Sublime Systems' small but growing team,
the right individual will be a key technical resource in the scale
up of Sublime's technology. This is an exciting opportunity to
combat global climate change by transforming how the world makes
cement. This position is located in Somerville, MA.
- Lead the development of Sublime's integrated process model
simulation and act as company Subject Matter Expert (SME) on
process modeling by continuously validating and improving models as
the technology scales
- Create and maintain project specific Mass & Energy Balance
models for pilot, demonstration, and commercial scale
- Participate in the analysis and interpretation of lab, pilot
and demo scale data, technical literature, and process
- Collaborate with R&D to frame out lab scale and pilot scale
experiments to answer key commercial scale technical/economic
- Contribute to the development of Sublime's commercial scale
design through vendor research, techno-economic analyses, and
- Contribute to the development of fundamental reactor design
models leveraging data from pilot plant operations
- Champion safety, especially in pilot plant design and
- Foster Sublime Systems' reputation by delivering innovative
- Help to develop a supportive, innovative, and dynamic company
Knowledge and Skill Requirements The role will initially focus on
the development of Sublime's commercial scale integrated process
simulation in combination with development of fundamental reactor
design models. However, we are looking for versatile candidates
that can also contribute to the design, installation,
troubleshooting, and operation of Sublime's pilot facility in the
future. Successful candidates will be results-driven, ambitious,
organized, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with
B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience developing chemical process models from
scratch using simulators such as Aspen Plus, ChemCAD, or PD-PLUS
with focus on electrolyte chemistry.
- Strong knowledge of chemical engineering fundamentals,
especially acid-base chemistry, solubility and precipitation,
chemical kinetics, and continuous reactor design.
- Knowledge of and passion for applying engineering fundamentals
to chemical plant design and operation
- Versatile. Capable of developing detail oriented analyses while
being happy to roll up sleeves and solve hands on problems.
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen,
distill information, consult, and suggest new approaches.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, focusing on accuracy
and quality, without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Balance, perspective, and a good sense of humor. Sublime
Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity EmployerAll qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
Your Right to WorkIn compliance with federal law, all persons hired
will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the
United States and to complete the required employment eligibility
verification document form upon hire.
The Berkner Group has been retained to execute this search. If you
were contacted by The Berkner Group, please reply to the person who
contacted you. If you are applying to a job posting, please email
your resume and a brief introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your name and the title for this position ("[Your
name] - [Sublime Systems] - [Sr. Process Engineer]") in the subject
line of your email. We look forward to hearing from you!
Keywords: Sublime Systems, Somerville , Senior Process Engineer, Engineering , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!