Senior Firmware Engineer
Company: Berkner Group
Posted on: July 29, 2022
TITLE: Senior Firmware Engineer HOURS: Full Time, Salaried
position EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: 5-10 years STARTS: ASAP LOCATION:
Somerville, Massachusetts REPORTS TO: Lead Firmware Engineer The
Company: SparkCharge is a fast-growing cleantech start-up that is
reducing barriers to Electric Vehicle (EV) adoption. We design,
manufacture, and sell portable, Level III charging systems for EVs.
We also provide "Charging-as-a-Service" (CaaS) through our mobile
app "Currently", which allows EV owners to schedule charge delivery
to wherever their vehicle is located. SparkCharge earned $1MM
investments on Shark Tank in 2020, and from New York State in 2019.
Description: As a Senior Firmware engineer, you will work closely
with not only your other team members, but across all engineering
teams to drive our products from conception to completion. You will
regularly flex your creative and technical problem-solving
abilities to define, implement, and test embedded firmware for our
current and future products. Being successful in this role means
that you can keep up with fast paced and exciting timelines while
also making informed, practical, reliable, and cost-effective
design decisions. This position will report to the Lead Firmware
Engineer. This position is fully in office. Responsibilities:
- Work with firmware and electrical leadership to architect
elegant firmware solutions for current and future products and
- Write and maintain firmware requirement specifications
throughout all product development stages.
- Own and drive development of new source code, functionalities,
enhancements, and bug-fixes for our products.
- Hold design reviews of your source code and resolve issues
after receiving feedback.
- Participate in and support design reviews hosted by other
engineers on related projects.
- Collaborate with test engineering to write procedures and test
scripts for your source code.
- Obtain/maintain a working knowledge of the major EV
communication protocols and relevant software safety standards for
- Support other firmware engineers in design, implementation,
testing and debugging of firmware Requirements: Candidates must
have: At least eight years' experience with bare metal or OS kernel
C or C++ on 32-bit or 64-bit architectures (ARM preferred)
- At least three years' Linux user space development
- At least two years of Python (or other higher-level language)
- CAN protocol experience
- TCP / IP / IOT/ MQTT / LTE M.2 implementation experience
- Experience with u-boot (or other bootloader), yocto, or other
embedded Linux distro
- Automated testing experience (unit testing, integration
testing, test-driven development, etc.)
- Unit testing and Continuous Integration experience
- Distributed source code management system experience (git,
mercurial, bazaar, darcs, etc.)
- Ability to read PCB schematics. Basic level understanding of
- Can operate benchtop test equipment (programmable power
supplies, function generators, oscilloscope) Additional "Plus"
- Experience with Renesas ARM / Renesas Synergy Libraries
- Experience with J1939 CAN protocol
- Knowledge of EV Charging protocols (CCS, CHAdeMO, SAE
- Experience coding to UL 1998 safety standard
- Experience using LTE M.2
- Experience with MIPI/DSI or HDMI touchscreen
- Experience with Arduino
- Experience with Atlassian suite (Bitbucket, Asana, Jira,
- Experience with Eclipse
- Experience with LabVIEW
- Experience with MATLAB Benefits: We are a fast-paced, young
start-up building a culture based on hard work, respect, work/life
balance, and open communication. This position qualifies for
unlimited PTO. The Company pays 99% of the medical, dental, and
vision insurance premiums for employees. We offer FSA savings and
401(k) plans. Compensation will be based on the candidate's ability
to quickly add value to SparkCharge. Berkner Group has been
retained to execute this search. If you were contacted by Berkner
Group, please reply to the person who contacted you. If you are
applying to a job posting, please email your resume and a brief
introduction to email@example.com. Please include your name
and the title for this position ("[Your Name] - SparkCharge -
Senior Firmware Engineer") in the subject line of your email. We
look forward to hearing from you!
Keywords: Berkner Group, Somerville , Senior Firmware Engineer, Engineering , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!