Associate Chief Clinical Informatics Officer
Company: Brigham and Women's Hospital
Posted on: May 10, 2022
Job Description - Associate Chief Clinical Informatics Officer
(3193822) Associate Chief Clinical Informatics Officer - ( 3193822
) About Us: As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham
is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and
service to the community by leading innovation across our system.
Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General
Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of
care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care
organization, a physician network, community health centers, home
care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals
are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system
is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients
and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees
with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is
committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with
projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that
empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each
member of our team to own their personal development-and we
recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern
decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our
work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service
Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we
treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect,
Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork &
Collaboration. General Summary/Overview Statement The Executive
Director for Clinical Informatics/Associate Chief Clinical
Informatics Officer (ACCIO) is accountable for the clinical design,
workflow-functionality and supporting clinical informatics
functionality (clinical decision support, health maintenance,
terminology infrastructure) contained within the Epic system and
the associated governance processes to gain clinical domain input
and enterprise content consensus. The ACCIO directs a department of
informaticists and oversees the areas of clinical content, clinical
workflow, clinical informatics and biomedical device integration.
The ACCIO advocates for and advances the Epic system for Mass
General Brigham and drives clinician engagement and adoption for
Mass General Brigham Digital (Epic Platform) through involvement in
decision making via robust governance processes and partnerships
with site leaders. The person in this role serves as one of the
Senior Clinician Leaders guiding build and maintenance within Epic
and the associated clinical processes. Collaborates with the Vice
Presidents and the other Executive Directors across Mass General
Brigham Digital to ensure synergies and make program wide
operational decisions. This role reports to the Mass General
Brigham Digital VP & Chief Clinical Informatics Officer. Principal
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the development of an annual plan of improvements within
Epic that aligns with the strategic and operational goals of the
sites and Mass General Brigham overall within the context of the
budget and build capacity.
- Provides senior leadership in the execution of Mass General
Brigham Digital (Epic Platform) Program's Clinical Informatics
activities against annual Demand and Enhancement project plans and
ensures execution of key milestones and deliverables.
- Provides senior leadership to drive clinician ownership of
training content, data definitions, and application based and
clinical domain expertise to the build in Epic.
- Organizes the Clinical Informatics Team to be involved in the
Epic-based activities, understands the current functionality and
provides input into future state development.
- Leads content leaders to work closely with the application
teams and site analysts to address build questions and provide
subject matter expertise.
- Provides direct leadership to Mass General Brigham Digital
(Epic Platform) Clinician Teams across the domains of
- Clinical Medical Services
- Clinical Nursing Services
- Clinical Health Professions
- Clinical Informatics (clinical decision support, data
definitions, terminology, data classification, support of technical
- Biomedical Device Integration
- Quality and Safety
- Leads the organization of governance groups to gain input on
clinical work processes, prioritize work and define goals for the
Epic platform to consider in its planning.
- Provides leadership and direction for staff support for
permanently chartered Subject Matter Expert Panels, ad hoc Subject
Matter Expert Groups involved in Clinical Content Build Out (CCBO)
and clinical governance groups that are needed for Epic decision
- Communicates Mass General Brigham Digital (Epic Platform)
Program governance and decision-making principles to project team
and stakeholders, provides routine and ad hoc communication and
Program updates to various stakeholder groups and serves as a lead
clinician champion for the Mass General Brigham Digital (Epic
- Clears clinician obstacles and barriers that cannot be cleared
by the Mass General Brigham Digital (Epic Platform) Clinical
Directors, Project Managers, and Team Leads.
- Works with Mass General Brigham Digital Executive Directors and
Vice Presidents to coordinate program activities to achieve program
goals. For the Epic platform Mass General Brigham Digital
- Collaborates with Mass General Brigham Digital (Epic Platform)
leadership, as well as other clinical and operational leaders
across the enterprise.
- Mentors and helps to develop the careers of Clinical
Informatics Team members.
- Participates in the development of Mass General Brigham Digital
(Epic Platform) Data Governance strategy.
- Performs other responsibilities as determined by the CCIO.
- Minimum of 10 years of Clinical Operations and/ or Healthcare
IT work experience, including at least 3 years in a senior
leadership role within a hospital/ health care system
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing multiple medium to
large cross-functional teams and projects using standard project
management methodologies and tools
- Active and respected clinician with at least 10 years of
clinical experience Skills/Abilities/Competencies Required
- Proven team leader who provides consistent direction to a team
of multi-disciplinary resources.
- Ability to synthesize information and drive decisions
- Expert level knowledge of clinical operations and related
- Able to translate strategies to operational execution
- Strong knowledge of clinical care processes across disciplines
and across the care continuum and how to use enabling technology to
standardize and optimize clinical care delivery
- Practical EMR experience, preferably with the Epic system
- Highly experienced in planning, organizing, prioritizing,
delegating and supervising
- Expert in exercising initiative, judgment, problem solving and
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and execute strategy
- Exceptional communication skills, including strong verbal,
written and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding leadership and mentoring skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain, motivate and manage
relationships in a highly complex and changing environment
- Adept at partnering with and influencing senior leaders
- Adept at facilitation and building consensus and navigating
- Advanced skill in negotiation with stakeholders, vendors and
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations in a calm
and professional manner Working Conditions
- General day hours with flexibility to meet the demands of the
- Standard business environment with frequent local travel
between Mass General Brigham Healthcare System sites
- Part-time medical service at Mass General Brigham Healthcare
System facilities is a plus
- May require travel for external training or industry related
meetings Supervisory Responsibility
- Directly supervises between 4-8 people with a team in the 30-40
Mass General Brigham employee range.
- Works with consultants at times Fiscal Responsibility
- Provides senior management direction and support for fiscal
management, including budgets, forecasts, expenses and financial
reporting. Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer &
by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to
lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national
origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation,
military service, genetic information, and/or other status
protected under law.
Keywords: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Somerville , Associate Chief Clinical Informatics Officer, Executive , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!