Assistant General Counsel
Company: Commonwealth Care Alliance
Posted on: October 16, 2019
Reporting to the Vice President & Associate General Counsel for
regulatory and transactional matters, the Assistant General Counsel
will work closely with various internal departments including
operations, provider contracting, and marketing. The successful
candidate will be a significant contributor to CCA s business
objectives by providing legal advice on transactions and regulatory
issues, including compliance with laws, regulations, industry
standards and company policies for this growing health care
* Provide legal advice to CCA on transactions and regulatory
issues, including plan marketing rules and regulations.
* Review and draft vendor, provider, and other business agreements,
related to a variety of operational, financial, and network
* Assure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations
including privacy and security, HIPAA, Medicaid/Medicare, marketing
rules, fraud and abuse, Anti-Kickback, Stark/self-referral, and
related topics. Coach junior legal staff members.
* Other duties as assigned.
* JD from accredited law school
* Licensure: Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar, or
the ability to waive into the Bar of the Commonwealth of
* 4-8 years of healthcare transactional and regulatory experience
in a mid-size to large law firm or in-house for a healthcare
organization (plan experience a plus).
* Experience with analyzing rules and regulations applicable to
health care organization transactions including HIPAA and HITECH,
Medicare marketing rules, Anti-Kickback, and Stark law
* Background and experience counseling healthcare organizations on
healthcare regulatory risks and assisting in developing strategic
* Working knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid managed care laws and
* Knowledge and experience drafting and reviewing a high volume of
complex contracts including a wide variety of vendor, information
technology, and managed care contracts, consulting agreements, and
* Knowledge and experience with federal and state healthcare
regulatory laws and regulations including HIPAA privacy and
nondiscrimination requirements, market conduct laws, statutory and
regulatory requirements in the Medicare/Medicaid managed care
context, fraud and abuse, Anti-Kickback, and Stark/self-referral
* Exposure to and/or familiarity with the following areas of law:
health law, contracts, managed care, Medicare and Medicaid, and
* Excellent contract drafting and legal analytical skills
* Ability to identify risks and propose alternative structures to
* Excellent writing skills as demonstrated by past examples of
written legal work
* Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts,
including outside attorneys and regulators, senior management, and
* Ability to manage and resolve complex legal and regulatory
matters and to clearly and effectively communicate these matters to
others internally and externally as needed
* Ability to work independently and to effectively manage a large
workload in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with
internal and external stakeholders of the organization, as well as
* Ability to prioritize and plan work independently.
Commonwealth Care Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran
status, uniformed service member status, race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic
information or any other category protected by applicable federal,
state or local laws.
Keywords: Commonwealth Care Alliance, Somerville , Assistant General Counsel, Legal , Boston, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!