GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
In addition to performing routine installations, maintenance
testing, calibrations, and repairing refrigeration systems, heating
systems, air conditioning systems, related piping systems, and
equipment prepares costing estimates to support a "Fee for
Service"; or cost pay back special projects program, and in support
of construction and renovation projects program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Installs, maintains, tests and calibrates and makes repairs
to refrigeration systems, heating systems, air conditioning
systems, related piping systems and all related equipment.
2. Makes necessary adjustments and calibrations on pneumatic
electric and electronic (DDC) control for HVAC systems.
3. Responds to all emergency situations as appropriate.
4. Reads and interprets blueprints (HVAC drawings) for various
information such as pneumatic control and settings and
5. Prepares material listing as required for work order requests
and other routinely assigned tasks.
6. Responsibilities may involve participating in planning
activity at departmental level or assisting in the development of
solutions to specific problems.
7. Maintains a safe and clean work environment in areas of
Engineering Department responsibility (areas as assigned).
8. Responds to phone calls from all areas of the hospital as
assigned by supervisor or
9. Communicates with other employees and management on necessary
information regarding mechanical systems including duct, pipe,
controls and ventilating systems..
10. Maintains appropriate records of testing and/or assigned
11. Performs brazing and soldering on piping systems.
12. Installs pre-fabricated sheet metal duct work for HVAC
13. Performs testing, balancing and adjustments for air
14. Maintain records of all HVAC equipment.
15. Prepare daily work schedules and assigns tasks to licensed
and unlicensed HVAC, Technicians, ensuring efficient utilization of
work hours and individual skills.
16. Performs the duties and responsibilities for the supervisor
in his absence.
17. Meets with representative of requester department to assess
and prepare estimates for construction, renovation, and/or
modernization type projects.
18. Visits all work sites on a regular basis to ensure that all
work is progressing on schedule.
19. Participates in establishing training programs relative to
20. Functions as lead worker in multiple person project crews.
As such, assumes, responsibility for team member task assignment,
work quality and timely completion of project.
21. May be required to carry the on-call pager.
22. May be required to work weekends or rotating shifts.
23. Required to perform all other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to read, write and perform arithmetic
calculations at a level generally acquired through a high school
2. Three years of formal HVAC/refrigeration apprenticeship
3. Licenser in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
4. Requires at least three to five years experience as a
licensed HVAC technician.
5. Requires CFC Certification.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Requires interpersonal skills sufficient to interact
effectively and to cooperate with staff throughout the hospital.
Must be able to clearly explain HVAC/Refrigeration issues to other
2. Required the ability to read and interpret blueprints,
diagrams and equipment specifications.
3. Requires analytical skills to evaluate HVAC/Refrigeration
systems and to develop appropriate solutions to problems.
4. Requires physical ability to lift over 30 lbs. (less than 15%
of the time).
5. Requires technical knowledge of installation and repair of
refrigeration equipment and knowledge of testing and calibrating
6. Requires knowledge or related supplies and equipment.
7. Requires the ability to work independently. Refers to
supervisory staff for clarification or exception to established
policies and procedures.
1. May occasionally (less than 20% of the time) get involved in
a dirty and hazardous environment in the performance of duties.
2. May be required to work in a confined space or in a
3. May be required to wear a respirator.
In the absence of the HVAC supervisor, supervise and oversee
Brigham and Womens Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin,
sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of