Senior Lead Research Scientist - Flood Modeling
Company: FM Global
Posted on: January 12, 2022
More information about this job:Overview:FM Global is a leading
property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more
than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with
engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions.
FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business
operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention
engineering and research; risk management skills and support
services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior
financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally
diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in
a variety of challenging roles.
Responsibilities:The person filling this position will be based at
our Norwood, Massachusetts USA research facility, and will be
responsible for planning and conducting research related to
riverine flood, with a focus on hydraulic modeling. --Work will
- Conceptualizing and developing end-to-end solutions at local to
global scales and integration with FM Global riverine and coastal
- Preparing reports and presentations describing study results,
and their relevance for loss prevention and risk management.
- Developing plans for strategic research that will lead to
significant, measurable improvements in the ability to estimate
future property losses.-- Qualifications:This position requires:
- A PhD degree with a fundamental background in hydraulics and
hydrodynamics, and a solid research record in the development and
application of 1D and 2D hydraulic models to map riverine
- Modeling experience demonstrating broad understanding of
modeling principles including model setup, calibration, and
- Experience with collecting, processing and analyzing data.
- Sound background in probability and statistics.
- Broad knowledge of numerical methods and demonstrated coding
abilities using programming languages such as R, Python, FORTRAN,
MATLAB, and/or others.
- Experience with High Performance Computing on Linux/Unix
clusters and cloud platforms such as AWS.
- Skills with GIS tools such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and GDAL.Applicants
must have demonstrated project management abilities and excellent
written and verbal communication skills. The job title may be
adjusted depending on qualifications and
Keywords: FM Global, Somerville , Senior Lead Research Scientist - Flood Modeling, Other , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!