Special Heavy Motor Equipment Operator Catch Basin Cleaner Sewer/Public Works Laborer (4 openings)
Company: City of Somerville
Posted on: March 18, 2023
The Special Heavy Motor Equipment Operator (SHMEO)/Sewer works
in the construction, maintenance, and operation of the sewer system
including but not limited to sewer mains, drains, connections, and
catch basins. The individual shall have a thorough knowledge of the
principles and practices of maintaining sewer systems. Performs all
other related duties that may be assigned.Essential Functions:
- Performs the installation and repair of mains, valves,
manholes, drainage systems, and any other appurtenances using
whatever methods, tools, and procedures are necessary to complete
the task in a safe, proper, and proficient manner.
- Digs, braces, backfills and tampers excavations.
- Installs and repairs asphalt and concrete.
- May be required to climb into catch basins and sewer lines to
remove and dispose of solid substances.
- May assist private contractors during City construction or
- Read and follows specifications on engineering blueprints,
sketches, and diagrams of the water and sewer system.
- Locate, operate, repair, and maintain underground utilities and
controls related to the sewer infrastructure.
- Ensures operational, maintenance, and staff compliance with
applicable safety regulations and other requirements governing
construction, repair, and maintenance operations.
- Operates equipment including but not limited to front-end
loaders, backhoes, compacting equipment, skid-steer loaders,
vactor-type equipment, jetting machines, and catch-basin machines
in a professional and competent manner and with care taken to
perform the work safely and with efficiency.
- Uses standard hand tools including but not limited to shovels,
picks, axes, saws, heavy wrenches, and small power tools.
- Responds to emergencies as directed.
- Reports any emergencies to a Foreman.
- Assists with emergency response activities related to system
failures and/or crisis situations of the City sewer and drainage
system. In the case of breaks and failures of the City sewer and
drainage system, is responsible for determining the cause, locating
problem area, and using whatever methods, tools -and procedures
that are necessary to complete the task in a safe, proper and
proficient manner. Also responsible for ensuring that customers are
not experiencing flooding conditions caused by the City sewer and
drainage system by entering homes and basements to check their
- Performs the safe collection and transport of sewer effluent in
compliance with all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and State
DEP sewer regulations.
- Responsible for reporting any Sanitary Sewer Overflows (SSOs)
to a superior for notification to DEP.
- Performs minor maintenance functions on equipment including but
not limited to checking and maintaining air pressures and fluid
levels, lubrication of mechanical joints by applying necessary
greases, and routine cleaning of vehicle exterior and
- Performs daily vehicle condition inspections and reports as
required by law or by Department policy.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with
supervisors, co-workers, and the general public.
- Takes lead role toward customer response and problem resolution
as related to sewer system issues and reports such issues to a
- Assists with cross-departmental Water and Sewer
- Uses electronic work order system.
- Trains personnel as necessary.Recommended Minimum
- Working knowledge of the following:
- Principles and practices pertaining to the correct, proficient,
and safe operation of equipment and assigned vehicles.
- Applicable State, Municipal, and Department rules and
regulations pertaining to safe operation of assigned motor
- Rules, regulations, and applicable laws relative to job-related
- Principles and practices for the operation and maintenance of
- Demonstrated ability to recognize conditions requiring
maintenance and repair.
- Exercise proper professional and technical judgment.
- Operate equipment with a high degree of skill and
- Read and follows the specifications on interpret engineering
blueprints and maps and specifications as they pertain to municipal
sewer and sewer systems and recognize the need for referral to
determine safe excavation.
- Regularly enter and make observations in manholes, pump
stations, sewer lift stations, trenches, and other confined
- Work alone or with others without close supervision.
- Comply with all related Federal, State, City, and Department
policies and provisions.
- Frequently lift, move, push, pull, and/or carry up to 50
- Occasionally lift, move, push, pull, and/or carry up to 100
- Balance, stoop, bend, and crouch.
- Reach and handle tools with both hands.
- Work under varying weather conditions.
- Perform duties of this job description on scheduled and
unscheduled overtime.Entrance Requirements:
- Graduation from a high school or vocational school, or
- Minimum of one year of experience in the operation and
maintenance of a public sewer and drainage system or related
- Must possess valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Class B
license with air-break and tanker endorsement.
- Must possess Massachusetts Hoisting License with 2B and 4E
restrictions within 120 days of hire.
- Must have a responsible driving record.Work Environment:Work
requires agility and physical strength, ability to function in
close quarters, and is subject to outside environmental conditions,
including wet, hot and cold weather. Worker is subject to noise,
vibrations, hazards and atmospheric conditions including fumes,
dust and air contaminants.Physical and Mental Requirements:The
physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position's
essential functions.Physical Skills: -Position requires
standing/walking most of the day, lifting/carrying,
pushing/pulling, climbing, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling,
bending, crouching and stooping in the performance of daily
activities. The position requires near and far vision and acute
hearing, the ability to maintain heavy physical exertion for long
periods of time, operate hand and power tools, navigate rough
terrain, move in or about construction sites.Motor Skills: -While
performing the duties, employees are regularly required to use oral
communication skills and handle tools and equipment. The position
requires balancing, pushing, pulling, grasping, feeling and
repetitive motion to complete tasks.Visual Skills: -Visual acuity
is required to operate motor vehicles and heavy equipment.Hours:
Full-Time (Monday - Friday 7am to 3:30pm)
Salary: $53,580.80 annually + - benefits
Union: SMEA Unit B
Pre-employment Requirements: This is a safety-sensitive position.
Must -pass a driving history check and pre-employment drug
screening / physical prior to employment.
Date Posted: May 23, 2022
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other
protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with
disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services,
written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable
modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to
qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon
Persons with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for
effective communication (i.e., CART, ASL), written materials in
alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and
procedures in order to access the programs, activities, and
meetings of the City of Somerville should please contact Adrienne
Pomeroy at 617-625-6600 x 2059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits Somerville Offers
- 4 weeks annual vacation (for non-union positions) & for union
positions this varies by contract
- Medical insurance through the Group Insurance Commission
- Dental coverage low and high plans through Cigna
- Vision care through the Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- Long term disability through Sun Life
- Group and voluntary life insurance through Boston
- Flexible spending plans through Benefit Strategies
- Deferred compensation through a choice of three
- Employee assistance through the Employee Assistance Program
(EAP) provided by E4Health
- Cancer screening & wellness release
- Tuition reimbursement
- MBTA pass program
- FREE Blue Bikes membership
- Eligible employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Benefits listed are for benefits-eligible positions and the above
information is meant to be a general overview of the benefit
programs offered by the City of Somerville. This is not a binding
contract, for any questions relating to benefits for specific union
and non-union positions please contact the Human Resources
department by calling (617) 625-6600 x 3300.
COVID-19 Vaccination Required
To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public,
all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Exemptions and/or reasonable
accommodations are not guaranteed and will be reviewed by the City
of Somerville Human Resources Department on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more at .Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: City of Somerville, Somerville , Special Heavy Motor Equipment Operator Catch Basin Cleaner Sewer/Public Works Laborer (4 openings), Other , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...