Data Center Technician III (Swing Shift) - Somerville, MA
Posted on: February 23, 2021
The Data Center Technician III assists in the operational
integrity, security, and regulatory compliance of the data center.
The technician is to have a strong knowledge of telecommunications,
mechanical, electrical, and life safety systems as well as data
center operating procedures.
We are currently hiring for the Swing Shift: 3:00 pm - 11:30 pm
A Tier III technician will be responsible for day to day operations
of the data center including facilities and telecommunication
infrastructure. The responsibilities are wide ranging and
Mechanical responsibilities will include working on chilled water
systems and components, HVAC systems such as roof top units,
CRAC/CRAH units, humidification systems, and central plant
Electrical responsibilities will include working on
electrical/critical power distribution from the Utility/Generator
main switchgear through the UPS systems out to the customer load
including power circuit installations.
Fire Life Safety responsibilities will include monitoring wet
sprinkler systems and pre-action sprinkler systems as well as their
associated detection devices.
Telecommunications responsibilities will include cross connect
installations, cabling infrastructure management, advanced remote
hands support, and customer cage and cabinet build outs.
Responsibilities will include customer infrastructure build-outs
(cage builds, overhead installations, rack and stack), cable
termination and testing, maintenance work, monitoring and
responding to mechanical, electrical, fire protection, telecom, and
security systems. These systems include, transformers, PLC's,
generators, switchgear, UPS systems, STS', ATS' PDU's, chilled
water systems, CRAC/CRAH, wet sprinkler systems and pre-action
sprinkler, network equipment, transmission media, cabling
infrastructure, security hardware, and CCTV.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions
in facilities systems. Areas include: Electrical, Mechanical,
Communications, Building Monitoring and Control.
- Tracking and trending operational characteristics.
- Provide feedback to management on the effectiveness of existing
standards and processes
- Works with contractors and consultants for all system
expansions, corrections and upgrades
- Work with the senior technicians to track and complete an
aggressive preventive and predicative maintenance schedule
- Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency,
including analyzing existing operating conditions, recommending new
technologies, and improving overall efficiency and cost reduction
as per Coresite guidelines. Ideal candidate will have a
demonstrated technical ability and innovative thinking cross
functionally, including integrated systems and IT
- Manage systems to avoid unplanned, customer-impacting
- Navigate and utilize a CMMS system.
- Provide day-to-day exceptional customer service and
- Maintain and complete regular facility and security tours
documenting and responding to found issues.
- Assist with the database management of maintenance
discrepancies and work with to resolve site issues based on agreed
- Follow direction from data center management regarding the data
floor and back of house mechanical loading capacity thereby
ensuring that the cooling system is operating at its highest
- Trouble Ticket and Remote Hands Management
- Fiber and Copper cabling terminations
- Circuit path creation and verification
- Coordinate and oversee power installations and upgrades
- Work Order Completion Process
- Infrastructure projects (Internal/Customer)
- Cage and Cabinet Build-Outs
- Overhead Installations
- Rack and Stack
- Use developed procedures to solve problems
- Assist in asset and consumable inventory management.
- Responsible for the tracking and proper labeling of all
equipment per established procedures.
- Incident escalation, response, and follow-up report writing
- Manage building service requests through resolution.
- Perform and complete work orders and customer service tickets
in a timely manner
- Serve in a technical writing capacity in regard to the
derivation of procedures for preventative or corrective maintenance
- Adhere to and promote CoreSite's Principles of Operational
- Provide applied mechanical and integrated control expertise for
the entire data centerRequirements
This position is required to interact with CoreSite personnel,
vendors, partners, contractors and clients.
- Firm and proven understanding of the electrical and mechanical
systems used in a data center environment.
- Firm and proven understanding of fiber optics / cabling
infrastructure and industry best practices.
- Firm and proven understanding of Proficient knowledge of NEC,
NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 25, and compliance issues as well as
building codes in regard to fire life safety
- Proficient knowledge in industrial safety best practices (i.e.
lockout/tag out, arc flash protection, OSHA and state
- Proficient and experienced with data trending / tracking and
analysis and ability to rapidly learn and use PC based, integrated
critical monitoring systemsSkills
- Minimum of 2 years experience installing, maintaining, and/or
troubleshooting large commercial and industrial systems
- Chilled Water Systems
- Large Centrifugal Chillers
- Cooling Towers
- Heat Exchangers
- Water Treatment Systems
- VFD's and Pumps
- HVAC equipment
- Humidification Systems
- BMS and PLC Controls
- Emergency Standby Diesel Generator Systems
- Fuel/Oil systems,
- 480/277 and 208/120 electrical generation and distribution
- Static UPS Systems
- Double Interlock Pre-Action Systems
- Communications cabling
- Cabling infrastructure
- Network infrastructure and hardware
- Experience laying out, pulling, dressing, and terminating fiber
and copper communications cabling.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing IT hardware, servers,
network switches, structured cabling.
- Proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and internal
- Ability to coordinate, supervise and communicate with
contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise
during normal working hours or after hours.
- Ability to operate in and promote a rigorous process-driven
- Ability to logically analyze and solve problems
- Ability to effectively multi-task multiple projects
- Operate Hand and Machine Tools (hammer, drill, saw, etc.)
- Operate electrical tools such as a multi-meter or infrared
- High School Diploma or greater
- 2-5 years of experience in the data center industry
- Be able to pass an extensive background check, including
criminal history, personal references, employment and education
verification, and Department of Motor Vehicle and credit
check.Physical Demands And Special Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Ability to stand 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to walk 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to sit 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to climb and balance 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl 1/3 - 2/3 of the
- Ability to reach with hands & arms 1/3 - 2/3 of the time
- Ability to smell, talk & hear
- Ability to use hands to type, handle & feel
- Ability to reach with hands and arms
- Ability to see at close and distance ranges and the ability to
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress, fast paced
environment with shifting priorities
- Must be willing to work outside normal business hours,
including weekends, late nights, holidays, and on-call support
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds 1/3 of the time Benefits
Not only does CoreSite have a fun, team-focused work environment,
but we also offer great benefits!
- Medical and Vision coverage through Cigna Heath Care
- Telemedicine through MDLive
- Dental Insurance through Delta Dental
- Life Insurance and Short-Term & Long-term Disability Insurance
fully paid by the company
- Voluntary coverage benefits for Life and AD&D, Critical
Illness, Accident Coverage, and Hospital Indemnity
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Plans and Health Saving Account (HSA) Plans
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with a generous company
- Free parking or a company contribution towards a public transit
- Paid Parental Leave..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: CoreSite, Somerville , Data Center Technician III (Swing Shift) - Somerville, MA, Professions , Somerville, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!